Health Minister Says Ebola Risk in Ghana Remains Low

The Minister for Health, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh, has indicated that the risk of Ebola in Ghana remains low.
That notwithstanding, he is urging the public to uphold preventive measures following the World Health Organisation’s declaration of the disease as a public health emergency of international concern last week.
Addressing the press on May 21, 2026, he confirmed that no cases of Ebola have been recorded in West Africa, including Ghana.
“It is important to note that no cases have been recorded in West Africa, including our dear country, Ghana,” Akandoh said. “However, it is said prevention is always better than cure.”
The Minister explained that Ebola spreads through direct contact with blood, body fluids, secretions, and contaminated surfaces and materials.
He advised anyone experiencing symptoms such as sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, or unexplained bleeding to report immediately to the nearest health facility.
To reduce risk, he outlined precautions for the public and event organisers, including practising good hand hygiene by washing hands frequently with soap and water or using sanitisers, and ensuring mass gatherings have handwashing stations and sanitisers available.
“The government is taking all the necessary measures to protect us all,” the statement said, stressing that Ghana’s current risk level is low.
He added that it will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as needed.
Story by Linda Asare






