GNFS Outlines Safety Tips For Cooking
ADO1 Reinda Amoasiwaa Obeng of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) has advised the public against leaving range or cooktop unattended to while cooking.
“If you have to leave the room, turn your range or cooktop off.”
“Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves. Loose clothing can hang down onto hot surfaces and can catch fire if it comes in contact with a gas flame or electric burner. Keep your cooking area clean and free of combustible materials. Food wrappers, oven mitts or other materials left on or near the stove may catch fire.”
“Be sure to clean up any spilled or splattered grease. Built-up grease can catch fire in the oven or on the cooktop. She stated that,Do not store food or other items in your oven. It can be easy to forget there is an item in your oven, and this could catch fire while preheating.”
ADO1 Reinda also added that, in case oil or grease causes fire, “the first thing you should do is turn the heat source off and put a lid on the pan to smother the fire. If you’re unable to do this safely, toss baking soda on the flames or spray the fire with a fire extinguisher.
She emphasised, “never use water to put out grease or oil fires. Doing so can cause the oil to spatter and spread the fire. If the fire can’t be put out quickly and safely, leave your house immediately and call 911.”
Source: opemsuo.com/Gloria Opoku