The Republic of Congo’s government has denied speculation on social media that there had been a coup in the central African nation.
“Fanciful information suggests there may be serious events underway in Brazzaville,” government spokesman Thierry Moungalla said in a statement posted on Twitter.
The statement by the Congo Brazzaville government said the reports of a coup attempt against President Denis Nguesso, who has been in power for 38 years was not true.
The government’s denial came after Information Minister Thierry Moungalla tweeted on Saturday that “fanciful information” was suggesting “serious events” were underway in the capital, Brazzaville.
“The Government denies this fake news,” Moungalla tweeted. “We reassure public opinion about the calm that reigns and invite people to go about their activities calmly.”
The government’s website also posted a statement denying the coup attempt reports.
Nguesso, 78, has spent 38 years at the country’s helm in central Africa. He was president from 1979 to 1992, returned in 1997 after a civil war, and has remained in power ever since.
There has been a wave of coups across Africa in recent months, with the most recent one in Gabon, where the military seized power in January.
However, the Congolese government’s denial of the coup attempt reports suggests that the situation in the country is under control.
Source: Graphic Online