OccupyGhana Presses For Evidence Of GHȻ2.2bn Retrieved From Disallowances
Pressure group OccupyGhana has for the umpteenth time requested evidence from the Auditor-General’s office regarding some retrieved disallowances.
In September last year, the Auditor-General reported GHC 2.2 billion out of some GHC 4 billion disallowed from 2017 to 2020 had been retrieved.
This was doubted by OccupyGhana in a letter dated September 30, 2022, and addressed to the A-G.
“A close reading of the story, and comparing its contents with information you have provided to us in your letters dated 14 June and 4 July 2022, rather give us much cause for concern, grounds to doubt the veracity of your claims, and bases to question the legality of some of the steps you claim to have taken”, a part of the letter read.
It, therefore, demanded specifics, details and particulars of the alleged disallowances and retrievals that have taken place since Mr Akuamoah Asiedu took office.
Specifically, it demanded the names of the people involved, amounts retrieved from each of them, and when and how the said retrievals occurred.
The Auditor-General responded by promising to provide the documentation to the group after finalising and serving Parliament a copy in a letter dated October 7, 2022.
“On 11 January 2023, we wrote to you (our ref: OG/2023/001) to inquire whether you had finalised your report, and requesting that a copy of the report be made available to us. You have not responded to that letter”, a recent letter dated March 9, 2023, from the Group said.
In an attempt to compel the A-G to grant its requests, OccupyGhana has threatened to forward it to the Right to Information Commission for further action.
It has thus given the Auditor-General a week ultimatum.
“We write to repeat our request and to notify you that we will escalate this request to the Right to Information Commission if we do not receive a copy of the promised report from you within seven days of the date of this letter.”
Source: opemsuo.com/Hajara Fuseini