News

Resume work on Keta sea defense project now – Dzifa Gomashie to government.

The Member of Parliament for Ketu South, Dzifa Gomashie, is appealing to the government to facilitate the immediate resumption of work on the Keta sea defense project following the latest destruction caused by tidal waves in Keta last Sunday.

“I want His Excellency the president to hear me too, I will speak, he can’t say he hasn’t heard it. I am urging this House to stand with the people of Ketu South, stand with us in this time of grief, in this time of devastation, cold counsel never warms anybody’s heart” the MP said at the floor of parliament.

She went on to say, that, “What will warm our hearts is to see that indeed the contractors have moved to the site, but indeed within the shortest possible time, the so-called place that has been found will have a temporary structure to ensure the people have somewhere to lay their heads.”
3,000 people in the Keta municipality were displaced earlier this week as tidal waves swept through their homes on Sunday. Residents in communities such as Abutiakope, Kedzikope, and Keta Central were left with nothing to save.
Meanwhile, the Executive director of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Dr. Henry Kwabena Kokofu, is blaming the latest tidal wave in Keta partly on the increasing activities of illegal sand winning along the coastal areas.

Speaking on an Accra-based radio station on Monday, 8th November, Kokofu said: “It is quite disturbing, that has been the warning that we have got to be very careful.”

Source: Opemsuo.com/ Emmanuel Owusu Anti.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.