General News

Husband of Former EC Boss Charlotte Osei Displeased as Jean Mensah and Deputies Spared

Social commentator Hanan-Confidence Abdul has expressed his displeasure at the outcome of the investigation into seven petitions for the removal of Electoral Commission Chairperson, Jean Mensah and her deputies.

In a statement reacting to the lack of prima facie as established by the Chief Justice, the husband of former EC Chairperson Charlotte Osei said he was profoundly disappointed.

“While my beloved wife, a lawyer, views the outcome as a victory for the rule of law, I see it as a pat when a sledgehammer could have told a better story.”

He cited the disenfranchisement of SALL.

“The right to vote and to be represented is not a privilege to be dispensed with convenience. It is a fundamental and weighty democratic entitlement under the Constitution.”

He also cited a political statement by Asare Bossman, a deputy EC chair.

“The petition that got my beloved wife removed was ordered from Temu. The majority of the petitioners were not known, and some were even dead, yet Akufo-Addo went out on a limb to manufacture a prima facie case for the then Chief Justice. However, the petitioners in this case are known, at least prima facie, to me, and most of them are intelligent and alive.

“My Charlotte conducted the cleanest elections ever and was recognised internationally, unlike the one Jean Mensa conducted, which was marked by chaos, where eight Ghanaians lost their lives amidst missing BVDs and disenfranchising limited voter registration tactics.”

A statement issued by the Jubilee House on February 18 said no prima facie had been established to warrant further investigation.

Story by Hajara Fuseini

Click to read more: https://opemsuo.com/author/hajara-fuseini/

Related Articles

Back to top button